According to the Sleep Foundation, “It’s common for older adults to experience changes in the quality and duration of their sleep. Many of these changes occur due to changes in the body’s internal clock.”
Aside from these, numerous health risks, such as heart disease, depression, diabetes, and arthritis, can also disrupt sleep. Medications can also affect sleep quality as side effects, such as antihistamines, opiates, antidepressants, and corticosteroids.
CATER TO YOUR NEEDS HOME HEALTH CARE LLC is a local provider of home health care in Saint Louis, Missouri that prioritizes the overall health of its clients, including sleep quality.
As such, our skilled nursing services would like to address these concerns by providing reliable care that maximizes restful sleep at night. These are simple steps that primary caregivers can also do for their loved ones.
- With the help of our home health care in Biloxi MS, we wash the sheets regularly and use your loved one’s favorite fabric softener as aromatherapy.
- Invest in blinds and an air conditioner to replicate a cool and dark environment. If your loved one does not like the dark, adding a soft night light will help.
- Never eat heavy meals during dinner. Alcohol and caffeine are not allowed, either. Consuming large amounts can keep the body active, thus hindering sleep.
- Gadgets and TV should be turned off one hour before bed. Blue light can reduce melatonin production in the brain.
- Reduce daytime napping. Our in-home care professionals can help your loved one stay active and entertained during the day to keep their internal clock at normal levels.